Lion Kitty Ulrich-President 2017-2018
The Gasport Lions Club meets the first and third Wednesday, September through May, of each month. Our meetings are held at the Elk’s Lodge #41, 6791 N. Canal Road, Lockport, NY.
The Lions Name: On June 17, 1917 at the invitation of Melvin Jones, delegates met in Chicago. The only point of contention was the selection of a name for the new organization. Melvin Jones researched the idea of calling the new organization Lions. He was convinced that the lion stood for strength, courage, fidelity and vital action. On a secret ballot the name Lions was chosen over several others.
“Our name was not selected at random, neither was it a coined name. From time immemorial, the lion has been the symbol of all that was good, and because of the symbolism that name was chosen. Four outstanding qualities-Courage, Strength, Activity and Fidelity-had largely to do with the adoption of the name. The last mentioned of these qualities, Fidelity, has a deep and peculiar significance for all Lions. The lion symbol has been a symbol of Fidelity through the ages and among all nations, ancient and modern. It stands for loyalty to a friend, loyalty to a principle, loyalty to a duty, loyalty to a trust.”
Worldwide, Lions clubs are recognized for their service to the blind and visually impaired. This service began when Helen Keller challenged Lions to become “knights of the blind in the crusade against darkness” during the 1925 Lions Clubs International Convention.
The Gasport Lions extend this commitment to the community by collecting and recycle eyeglasses for distribution in developing countries year-round and especially during May, which is Lions Recycle for Sight Month. The Gasport Lions also work to improve the environment, build ramps for the disabled, support diabetes education, conduct hearing programs and, through their foundation, provide disaster relief around the world.
In addition, Lions make a strong commitment to young people through youth outreach programs.